Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

My First Sweater

Last year for my birthday J bought me a bunch of knitting needles and other supplies.  He also purchased a skein of yarn that he liked so that I could make something for him.  With the help of Knitting For Dummies, I managed to learn to cast on, knit and purl.  I decided to make J a scarf, but since I didn't really know how to read patterns, I just started knitting.  I used way too small of a needle for really bulky yarn, and the result was a really wide, really stiff scarf that took forever to make.  I view the project as a bit of a waste of yarn, but he insists he likes it.  At least he will have a toasty warm neck this winter!

After that, it seemed like a good time to take some lessons.  Since February I've been taking lessons at a local yarn shop once a week (usually).  After learning some new techniques and practicing a few patterns, I decided to jump right in with a short-sleeved sweater.  This was circa March.  I'm just now nearing the end, and I can't wait to try on the finished product.  After all of the time, aggravation and money, I'm a little worried that it's not going to fit.

In the photos below, you can see that I just finished the ribbing on the right sleeve, and I'm still working on the left sleeve.  The neckline will be the last thing to do before sewing up the sides.





Simultaneously I've started working on a hat (using a pattern from The Purl Bee) for J using really nice hand-dyed alpaca yarn from 84 Alpacas.  We stumbled across this delightful little yarn store while exploring Washington County several weeks ago.  I don't think I'm going to have enough yarn to finish the hat, so we'll have to go back soon and get some more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment